Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time for a bob, methinks

Most of my life, I've kept my hair length above my shoulders. One reason was that my parents were always insistent that I looked better with short hair because "it showed my face." (To a self-conscious kid like I was, this was precisely the wrong reason to give for keeping hair short.)

But beautiful hair was long, I convinced myself. So, a few times during my five decades of life, I tried growing my hair past my shoulders and every time, I ended up cutting it because it was just too much hair for me. (I don't have thick hair but I do seem to have a lot of it.) I am now at that point where I officially feel (and look) like a troll. Too much hair, not enough Jillipoo.

My hair is about an inch longer than you see in this photo:



It's a good photo but doesn't give the perspective of hair to person. I also think that my hair is dragging down my face. And when you're my age, that is definitely not a good thing.

Here are a couple of the looks I'll be showing my stylist next week. Do you have a favorite? I think they're all basically the same -- only the lengths vary a bit.

I think my favorite might be this one. I like the slightly asymmetric style.



But this look is fabulous, too, except that maybe it looks great because it's blond (and you can see the curls better) and because anything looks cute on Meg Ryan:



And this one is great but I am uncertain whether the angle is too much for me. But I really like it on this model.



This hair is very similar to mine, so I'm drawn to it probably because I like having a hair twin...

17 comments:

kathymack said...

Jill, I really like three and four. I think your hair would do exactly as your hair twin's. You could start like that and work your way "up." That's what I did. I have a fairly severe angle. Sometimes the front pieces don't curl as they should--but that's to be expected! The inverted bob really makes me feel like a have a "style" for the first time in my curly life of over 30 years.

Sage Vivant said...

Thanks, kathymack! Your style is indeed very cute -- and flattering. You bring up a good point about "style". I don't feel like I have one, and maybe that's the problem....

Makeup Theory said...

I like the last photo because her curls are loser and the shape doesn't feel contrived. But your hair is very pretty long.

Sage Vivant said...

Thanks for the compliment, Makeup Theory. The fourth one is the most natural-looking, isn't it?

Unknown said...

I had an asymmetric bob in high school and loved it so much.

But, of these pics, I like the last one the best.

Kcurly said...

The fourth one is the bestest.

Jc said...

I also really like the last photo. It is a very cute style.

Your own hair is very pretty (nice curls, body and shine). I think your current style is nice but I am biased because I would like to see the bob hairstyle so I'm going to say go for it!!!

2poodles said...

I like all of the pics! I guess my only concern is if your hair will continue to curl as much once it's trimmed. I know my curls develop more with some length... But I suppose since you've had short hair before, you already know how it'll curl once it's cut. Good luck with whichever you choose - I can't wait to see it!

Sage Vivant said...

2poodles, I am concerned about that, yes. My hair has gotten much curlier as it's gotten longer, so I'm not entirely sure how it will curl if I cut off as much as I plan to. I'm hoping that the magical CG regimen will produce reliable curls that start closer to the root -- but then, I tend to nurse delusions about my hair.

DEL said...

I wish you had posted a front pic so we can see this perceived "pulling down of your face". It looks so pretty in that pic! My fear for you is that the styles with the angles are pretty drastic. Maybe you could work your way towards it, styling and getting used to a cut like that could be a lot of work. I like the last pic the best too :) But I do love KM's bob and her angle in the front, although hers might be longer then the pics you show??

Claire said...

I love your hair and your blog! My vote is for the last hair style.Your troll comments hits close to home. When I wear my hair down, I usually end up feeling troll-like and resort to a pony tail. Maybe having a little less hair and a little more style will help. Won't you miss your pony tail or pineapple? Good luck!

2poodles said...

So....did you do it? Where are the pics?!!

Sage Vivant said...

Yes, I did it! And I really love it. The problem, as always, is that I cannot get a good enough photo of it. But I'll post something soon, I promise!

Susan said...

Oh you must post pics!!! I totally totally get the 'dragging' your face down comment. I am so ready for a 'style' myself but just have not committed any research time to it!

Unknown said...

Oooh, I'm glad that you like it!

How is the curl pattern settling for you? Did you lose curl? Keep curl?

Kelly said...

I'm looking forward to you posting pictures of your new bob!

Ladytron2000 said...

Sage,

I actually love your hair the way it is! It's gorgeous and I'm totally jealous of how frizz free the curls are.

My hair only looks that perfect after a day at my hairdressers....which I'll be seeing in an hour. Whoo hoo!

Don't cut it :(